Latvian Child Welfare Network (LCWN), Association was founded on 11. November 2014 by 8 international and national NGO’s, representing for child development and well-being relevant fields such as education, social welfare and health. These organisations are: Education Development Centre (EDC); Latvian Children’s Fund; Latvian Country Family Doctors’ Association; Foundation Dardedze; Ronald McDonald House Charities; Latvian EAPN; Save the Children Latvia.
The goal of the LCWN is to advocate for children’s rights and ensure the increase of the physical, social, mental and material well-being of children in Latvia by making use of the right of civil society to participate in decision making and monitoring of it’s implementation.
Based on the strategy, developed by the LCWN till 2019, the main targets are:
- Safe and child friendly environment, including successful deinstitutionalization of children in out of home care, qualified practitioners for prevention and intervention in the work with children.
- Quality and inclusive education for children from preschool to the end of elementary school close to the children’s residence, awareness raising and promotion of the need for paradigm change in the education system according the children’s needs;
- Accessibility of primary and secondary health care services for children as well importance of prevention based health system and investments.
Achievements so far:
- Cooperation agreement with Ministry of Welfare & The State Inspectorate For Protection Of Children’s Rights;
- Participation in the Maternal and Child Health Advisory Council at the Ministry of Health;
- Submission of proposals for the Working plan 2015-2017 of the Welfare Ministry of Latvia;
- Participation in the preparation of the Alternative report on the State of Child Rights for UN;
- Membership at Eurochild as a national partner.